Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has confirmed that soldiers from the Nigerian Army were present at the Lekki Toll Gate Plaza where several gunshots were fired at #EndSARS protesters on Tuesday evening.
Multiple arrowing social media videos captured protesters singing the national anthem as shots were fired in the background.
Amnesty International says it has confirmed that Nigerian security forces killed at least twelve protesters in Lagos.
In a series of tweets, the military denied its involvement and labeled such reports as ‘fake news.’
Be Aware!!! pic.twitter.com/pby5mHqmX1
— Nigerian Army (@HQNigerianArmy) October 20, 2020
However, Sanwo-Olu told the BBC’s Newshour programme that video footage clearly showed the military had been at the scene.
“I think about seven o’clock or thereabouts there was a small unit of the military that went [to Lekki] and we heard that gunshots were fired,” he said.
Sanwo-Olu added that he had no idea why the military denied the incident. “They don’t report to me…the instruction was that they shouldn’t be there until 10pm,” he said.
In a statement on Wednesday morning, the governor blamed the shooting on forces beyond his control.
“This is the toughest night of our lives as forces beyond our direct control have moved to make dark notes in our history, but we will face it and come out stronger,” he said.
This is the toughest night of our lives as forces beyond our direct control have moved to make dark notes in our history, but we will face it and come out stronger.
I've just concluded visits to hospitals with victims of this unfortunate shooting incident at Lekki . pic.twitter.com/r5idAn9Pxw
— Babajide Sanwo-Olu (@jidesanwoolu) October 21, 2020